Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

The Government introduced the new Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 across the metal recycling industry in England and Wales from the 1st October 2013. This incorporates the Cash Ban introduced in December 2012 and now includes motor salvage operators and itinerant collectors. ALL scrap metal dealers, whether they are based at a scrap yard, are a motor salvage operator or a mobile collector are now obliged to verify the photo identity and address of anyone selling scrap metal to them.

New ID Requirements - what can I use?

The documents that we are able to accept are: 

Photo ID
  Valid UK photo driving licence 
  Valid UK passport
  Valid EEA passport
  Valid UK biometric immigration document
  Valid EU National ID card
  Valid UK Firearm/Shotgun licence
If the document from the list above does not show a current address, it must be accompanied by:

Proof of address which must be less than 3 months old when the scrap is received
  Bank or building society statement 
  Credit or debit card statement
  Mortgage statement
  Council tax demand letter or statement
  Council rent book/Benefit book
  Council/Housing Association agreement
  HMRC correspondence
  TV licence
  UK Firearm/Shotgun licence
  Utility bill (not a mobile phone bill)
  Water bill

Make sure we have a copy of your current, up to date ID. If in doubt bring it with you when you next visit.

How can I be paid?

EMR has introduced a range of payments for your convenience, these include:

  • Bank transfer
  • Prepaid card
  • Cheque
  • EMR cheques cashed on site






Licensing for merchants and mobile collectors from 1st October 2013

All site based and mobile scrap metal dealers must be in possession of a licence to continue to trade. The SMDA 2013 also includes motor salvage operators. There are two types of licence:
- A site licence
- A collector's licence: Mobile collectors need a separate licence for every local authority area where they collect

How to apply for a licence

All scrap metal licences are issued by local authorities, so apply directly to each local authority in which you are operating. You can find their details here Find my local authority

ultimate - creative communications
Germany Netherlands Spain Brazil France Turkey China Vietnam Indonesia India English quote